Thursday, February 4, 2010

Italian Barbecue Sliced Steak Sammies



February 1, 2010

So...if you are a fan of saying "That's what she said," I highly recommend you make this recipe!!! I mean, we had quotes such as, "It's so big I can't get my mouth around it!" And, "You have to squash it down to fit it all in!" It was a rather hilarious night!! And my good friend Weston stopped by for some grub before we headed off for the Grizzly game, (Which they won and there was a sweet fight!) and he liked it too! So you now not only have the testimony of the Thacker family, but a visitor as well! Speaking of which, if you do try the recipe, let me know what you think!! Like I said, the sammies were huge!! YOu just piled steak and cheese and sauce on french bread, and then the whole thing was supposed to fit in your mouth!? I don't think so! I do have a big mouth, which serves me perfectly well for all the talking I do, but I definitely could not handle that sandwhich! It was really good though! But very, very filling!! 3 stars!

2 comments:

  1. Hey katie..I want that recipie, it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 tablespoon EVOO-plus some for drizzling
    1 large red onion, chopped
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar (eyeball it!)
    2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce (Eyeball it!)
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    Salt and Black Pepper
    6 tablespoons (3/4 Stick) Butter, melted
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 large loaf of crusty italian bread, split and cut into 4 sections
    4 (12-ounce) strip steaks
    8 slices Provolone, from the deli counter

    Preheat the Overn to 375'. Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high

    Heat a small saucepot over medium-high heat with the tablespoon of EVOO. Add the onions and cook until tender, 7 to 8 minutes, then add the brown sugar, vinegar, and Worchestershire. Stir to combine, then stir in the tomato sauce. Reduce the heat, season with salt and lots of pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes.

    Combine the butter and garlic and brush the cut surfaces of the bread. Toast in the oven until golden. 15 minutes.

    Drizzle the steaks with a little EVOO, season with salt and pepper, and grill for 8 to 10 minutes for medium. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes.

    Switch the broiler on. Slice the steaks and layer a steak onto each quarter loaf of bread. Top with 1/2 cup of sauce and 2 clices of provolone. Broil until the cheese browns, about 1 minutes.

    Bonne Appetite!!!

    ReplyDelete